3.21.2003

MY KNITTING IS NOT THAT INTERESTING

Yes, it’s true. I’m so sorry. Other people, they’re doing cool stuff. Wendy turns out a fair isle sweater every two weeks, it seems. Michelle just finished a Philosopher’s Wool sweater and has begun an intarsia piece. Teresa is moving and knitting a fair isle vest, simultaneously. Each row that these people knit is exciting. Their every stitch is a marvel of technique. Me? Not so much. The cabled raglan? Mostly stockinette. Even the cables them selves are not that exciting. Are you sitting down? Yes? Okay: slip three to cable needle, hold at back, knit two, knit three together from cable needle. Whew. I know. You couldn’t even handle that excitement while sitting, now, could you?

Maybe I should have thought this through a little more before starting this blog. Maybe there should have been a moment at which I said to myself, “Self, your knitting is not that interesting. There is really no need to share it with others.” Perhaps we all could have been spared. But, that didn’t happen. The blog is here, and, in lieu of exciting knitting, I’m going to tell a little story. True confession time, here. And it is blog-related, at least.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THOSE ONLINE ABBREVIATIONS STAND FOR

Is there a code manual that I didn’t get? Where do these things come from? Do they float up gradually from some internet miasma? Or do they spring, fully formed, into the general, online consciousness? Whatever it is, I am missing something. LOL? What is that? Lots of Love? Lady of the Lake? It could be so many things. Just when I think I’ve cracked it, I see some use that does not fit with my definition at all. I could go on here with some other abbreviations that have me stumped, but I fear to reveal the true extent of my ignorance. So, if you know what these things mean, more power to you. Use them with abandon. But over here at grannysquare, we’re going to stick to writing things out long hand. That’s just the kind of blog this is.

THE WEEKEND

And now, the long-awaited weekend knitting predictions. What will I do? Well, I have a dream that I might complete the knitting of both sleeves of the cabled raglan. I do have the entire Oscars ceremony, after all. It could happen. But, at the same time, some other projects are calling my name. The cabled sleeveless turtleneck, aka “Moll,” wants some attention. The Koigu scarf also wants to know if it will ever graduate from the works in progress sidebar. I also want to start a pair of socks. Everyone’s knitting them, why not me?

No comments: