3.26.2003

INFIDELITY

Sorry for the lack of updates here. The truth is, I’ve been feeling a touch ashamed. I know you all want to hear the story, so… here goes. I’ve always been a one project sort of person. This dates back to the crochet days, when I would work on a single project for three years, finish it at last, and have it not fit. (The root of my current measuring obsession can be found there, too. I can’t go five rows without checking that my gauge hasn’t gone off.) In any case, I enjoy the process of knitting, but I also enjoy a nice, finished sweater. At least, I like the idea of the finished sweater, even if it goes bad now and again, and this keeps me on the proverbial straight and narrow, plugging away incessantly at the project of the moment.

Now that I am becoming a more proficient knitter, however, it has become harder to work on a single project. You see, I now understand the virtues of having multiple projects, of varying levels of complexity, going at one time. You have your easy project, for tv-watching, you have your small project, for toting around, and you have your complicated project, for those times when you want to feel skillful. I’m sure you all know what I mean. So, I tend to have three projects going at once and limit myself to that.

But this weekend, that went out the window. It all started when I made three stupid mistakes in a row on the front of the cabled raglan, necessitating the ripping out of all the cables. Dang. I won’t even go into the stupid mistakes, because they were just too stupid to tell. Now, the cabled raglan is my easy project, for tv-watching. Obviously, if I was screwing up on that one, it was not the time to upgrade to the skillful project. No, sir. At the same time, I didn’t want to waste my portable project, sitting at home, watching the Oscars. I need to save that for taking to work, etc. You with me?

So it happened. I started a fourth project. I know. It’s so shameful. I am now making the “Serendipitous Cardigan” from Hollywood Knits. (I am using Artful Yarns’ Circus, which is knitting to gauge nicely, but on a smaller needle than the pattern calls for. Don’t you just love these technical asides?) It is shockingly easy and knits very quickly. How quickly? I started the thing during the Oscars, and tonight I will be starting the sleeves. Back and fronts are done. And I am no speed demon with the needles. So… unfaithful I may be, but it’s only a brief fling. I’ll be back to knitting cabled raglan in a day or two… possibly while wearing my cozy new cardigan.

ACRONYMS EXPLAINED!

Well, thanks for clearing up my confusion, dear readers. LOL = Laughing out loud. Good to know. But I have to admit, I like "Lady of the Lake" better. It’s a bit like referring to that Dave Eggers book as AHWOSG. But less annoying. Because I hate that AHWOSG acronym. I can’t even believe I just typed it into the blog. But it’s there now. Nothing to be done. This concludes the acronym-using portion of the blog. Don’t be looking for them again, because they won’t be here. Except for “radar,” because I sure won’t be typing out “radio detecting and ranging.” We all have to draw the line somewhere.

No comments: