2.20.2003

WELL, NOW

To begin, I must apologize for the sporadic updates this week. Somehow, I’ve been feeling a trifle less posty. (I know, “posty” isn’t a word. But maybe it should be. Dig?) It’s been a pretty standard week, and, to be honest, “four more inches on the Koigu scarf!” just didn’t seem like an earth-shattering announcement. But that’s just me. Don’t want to share unless I can astonish. (Like you all are traditionally astonished by the knitting feats I post about… Get back to reality, sister!) But, never mind. I shall post. I am sure something will occur to me as I type away.

The Koigu scarf and the Lotus Pink Bobbles are both progressing nicely. I’m almost through the first skein of Koigu, which makes me nearly a third of the way through the scarf. Lotus Pink Bobbles is a lot of fun to knit. I am making it a bit larger than the pattern directs, however, because (true soul confession time, here) I have a really big head. I mean, I’m not talking circus freak big, or anything, but pretty big. Most of the hats in stores that claim to be “one size fits all” do not fit on my oversized dome. It is my cross to bear. Luckily, now that I am a hat-knitting fool, I can make my own damn hats to fit my larger-than-average head. So, Lotus Pink Bobbles has eight extra stitches in the ribbing and twelve extra stiches in the bobble section. This makes for two extra bobbles per round. I will also do an extra tier of bobbles, to balance the additional width. The hat will now weigh in at 75 bobbles. That’s a lot of bobble. I finished them all last night. Now, we are a-decreasing. As early as tomorrow, I may be wearing a big, pink, bobble-covered hat. Exciting, no? Koigu will take longer, as I tend to knit one or two of the eight-row pattern repeats and then get bored and put it down. Dang. Have to get better about that.

Although these small projects are a lot of fun, I miss having a sweater project going. I would like to swatch the Cash Iroha, but I know that I still have the basic mittens glaring reproachfully at me from the knitting basket. I have finished one mitten. But I have not started the second, because, my friends,

I HAVE A PROBLEM MAKING PAIRS

Yes, it’s true. Making the first mitten was a blast. I carried it around, doing a few rows whenever I had a moment. It was my first outing with double pointed needles, and once I got used to the crazy, needles-in-all-directions sensation, I liked working with them. But… mitten two has yet to be started. Even though it will take, maybe, two days to make. If that. Oh, the humanity. To make it all worse, I would like to try making some socks, but I can just see myself wandering around, wearing two mismatched socks because I could never bring myself to complete a set. I have to bring this under control. Maybe tonight’s knitting goal while trying once again to watch The Shipping News (Remember that? The video store gave me another copy, gratis.) will be to finish the hat and start the other mitten. Koigu will have to wait. As will Cash Iroha. Yes. Good. I will also launder. (I know, mi vida loca. Can you stand it?)

AND, FINALLY, ANOTHER WEBS UPDATE

I forgot to tell you all the conclusion of my lost yarn fiasco. When we left off, I was singing the praises of Webs for helpfully mailing out the skein that I left behind at the store. And now, the dramatic finale: they sent it Priority Mail. I got the yarn the very next day. These people are amazing, I tell you. They rock my world.

No comments: