2.13.2003

BRUSHES WITH CELEBRITY

Okay, I swear this is the last time I am going to talk about the comments. Promise. All right? But here’s one last thing. I honestly cannot decide which gives me a bigger thrill: finding a comment from someone whose blog I read (knitting celebrity!) or finding one from someone with a blog that is new to me. It’s all just fabulous. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, everyone. It’s really great to know you’re there.

KNITTING AND SCREENING

Last night’s cinematic agenda? Cool Hand Luke, with Paul Newman. How have I gotten this far in life without seeing Cool Hand Luke? I honestly don’t know, my friends. But I haven’t seen The Sixth Sense, either, so don’t go revealing the plot twist in the comments section. (Oh, damn, I brought the comments up again. Sorry, sorry.) It was a great movie, though, and, thinking about it, I have now realized that a number of scenes from other movies (The Hudsucker Proxy, for instance) directly reference Cool Hand Luke. My cinematic horizons have expanded.

While watching, I was able to cruise across a good portion of the back of the sleeveless turtleneck. As I have mentioned, the sweater is worked vertically, rather than horizontally. Got that in your mind? So, basically, I am about to bind off the side of the turtleneck and shape the second shoulder/armhole. (I really have to get some photos going here. These word-pictures of my knitting progress are just not cutting it. What we have here is a failure to communicate. Sorry, I know, that’s the biggest Cool Hand Luke cliché ever.)

I think one more knitting session will be enough to finish the back, attach the shoulder seams and pick up and knit the edging around the arm openings. It’s exciting to be this close to completion on my second knitted sweater. And so soon! Okay, it’s knit on size 11 needles and has no sleeves, so I’m definitely not going to set any speed records here, but hey, the excitement remains. Unfortunately, that knitting session will not be tonight, as I am going over to my parents’ house to work on the felted clogs with my mother. So the turtleneck will have to languish until Saturday.

The plan, after the sleeveless turtleneck, is to do a few small projects. I have some Koigu to make a scarf and some Lamb’s Pride to make a hat, and it would be nice to get those projects done while it’s still cold enough to use them. Of course, with my lack of self-restraint, I will probably just forge ahead with the Cash Iroha sweater instead.

I LOVE WEBS

And speaking of Cash Iroha, I need to tell you a little story now. You may recall that I mentioned going to Webs and purchasing fourteen skeins of Cash Iroha. I know it was fourteen. I counted. The woman at the register counted. And then, during Tuesday’s stash organization extravaganza: tragedy. The skein count is now thirteen. Wha? I checked all possible yarn locations. I called my mother, who went with me, and made her go out into the cold to check that the rogue skein is not lying on the floor of the car (my mother is a saint, a true saint). The skein is nowhere. At last, I must conclude that I left the skein at the store. After the counting, we just sort of bundled them up and shoved them in a bag, and one little skein must not have made it. I was bummed. Finally, I decided to call Webs, just to check to see if they found my poor skein and put it to the side, in case I came back. So I called. No one who worked the day I came in was there. Bummer. But, the woman I spoke with offered to go check the stock. A few minutes passed, and she returned, saying she has another skein of the same dye lot, and she will put it in the mail for me. No hassle; no problem.

This, my friends, is a wonderful thing. The people at Webs are wonderful people. Support their business. Go buy something from them soon.

No comments: