2.12.2003

IN WHICH I RAIL AGAINST MY LOCAL VIDEO STORE

Well, my friends, if you were waiting for my insightful review of The Shipping News, I fear I must disappoint you. That is because the DVD I rented from my local branch of a national video rental chain did not play. A half hour in, just as I was becoming accustomed to Judi Dench’s Newfoundland accent, I got that odd, pixilated screen, and everything ground to a halt. Don’t these people understand that I needed that movie to keep me motivated through the endless garter stitch of my sleeveless turtleneck? Apparently not. So now I have to go convince whatever twelve-year-old they just hired down there that I deserve a complimentary rental. Oh, the fun never stops.

In any case, this distressing occurrence did prevent any truly outstanding progress on the back of the sweater. I cast on and did all the increasing for the arm, shoulder and neck, but the majority of the knitting, working straight across to the decreasing at the other side, is untouched. A setback.

I did, however, do a little stash diving. My recent trip to Webs had left me with a number of unpacked bags of yarn, which I sorted through and tucked away into an alarmingly full tub of yarn. And yet, I still consider purchasing more. KnitPicks’ weekly sale (so often my downfall) has Debbie Bliss merino chunky on sale. I am tempted. I am also tempted by Rebecca Edition kits from the Knitting Garden and the Oriental Flower Bag from Virtual Yarns. (Have to learn stranded knitting some time, right?) Someone please take my credit card and hide it from me, before I do something terrible.

No comments: