2.18.2003

A NOTE ON FELTED CLOGS

Mattie Lou had asked in the comments about the felted clogs I am knitting. Mattie Lou, if you are reading, I am using the Fiber Trends felted clog pattern. I got it at a local yarn shop, but many online sources carry Fiber Trends patterns as well, including Patternworks. I am not finished yet, so I can’t really comment on whether or not I am happy with the clogs. You might try asking indigirl, who I believe has made several pairs. She may even have made some Fuzzy Feet… so maybe she could do a little compare and contrast. Hope this helps.

SETBACKS AND REVERSALS OF FORTUNE

Well, my friends, check out the little sidebar. See anything different in the Works in Progress? Yes, it’s true. The sleeveless turtleneck is done, and the Koigu scarf is begun. And now, I will tell you a little story about how this came to pass. Excited? I know. Try to calm yourselves as I reveal the hidden secrets of this past weekend.

Saturday started out filled with promise. I finished knitting the back of the turtleneck and pinned it out for a little quality time with the steam iron. I also cast on and did a few pattern repeats of the Koigu scarf. I’m pretty happy with this scarf. It’s a very simple pattern, just stockinette with rows of dropped stitches here and there to add a little interest. A good project for tv watching. I then put the needles down to go with the dear boy to pick up my old futon from my parents’ house.

Why were we getting this futon? Well, back in the day, this futon was my couch. Later, having built up the personal savings a little, I replaced the futon with some significantly classier loveseats. (You know you have arrived when you can buy some upholstered furniture.) The futon has, since this time, been living in the parental garage. Now, however, the dear boy and I have moved into a larger apartment, and we find ourselves with enough rooms for many a piece of furniture. My loveseats are in the living room; his slightly dilapidated sectional is in the den, and now this futon is in the guest room / knitting room / office. Pretty sweet, eh?

In any case, personal furniture tales aside, Saturday was good. There was knitting. There were knitting related errands. (After all, the futon will be one more place to lounge and knit…) Things were accomplished. And then, the Phone Call. A dark cloud fell over my Sunday. I had to go to work.

I work for an architecture firm as PR person and general graphics and layout kid. (And yet, I cannot code this site. Why?) This means that I get called a lot when deadlines are tight and the architects need to lateral some less technical presentation work to someone else. Sunday was one of those days.

Oh, the frustration. How could I be so close and then have to slink back to the blog on Monday, reporting my utter failure to finish the turtleneck? It was with a heavy heart that I awakened on Monday…

…to six inches of snow, with more falling rapidly. A call to work confirmed: no one was coming in. Oh, my lost Sunday! Regained on Monday! It was a good knitting day. I stitched up the turtleneck, did some more Koigu and wound my reclaimed yarn (from two weeks ago) into balls. Very productive.

And for this evening? Well, my friends, I am feeling a touch of startitis in my fingers, so I just may cast on for the “Olive Bobbles” hat. (Pattern care of Staceyjoy. Thank you again, Staceyjoy! Another lovely hat design.) I will be making it in a shade of Lambs Pride called “Lotus Pink,” so perhaps I shall refer to the hat more accurately as “Lotus Pink Bobbles.” Stay tuned…

No comments: