4.22.2003

I LACK KNITTING CHUTZPAH

I've been thinking about this lately, as I go about my daily life, knitting, not blogging, reading about other people's knitting. I lack knitting chutzpah. I really do.

What in blazes am I talking about? Well, I seem to be in a rut here. When I started knitting seriously again, about eight months ago, I chose fairly basic sweaters to work on, with minimal shaping, simple stitches and solid colors. I've had fun knitting these. They've worked up quickly and come out well. But now I seem to be stuck. I keep choosing these sorts of projects, because I know I can do them, but I seem to shy away from much else. I am somehow afraid that if I work with more colors, or more textures, I will suddenly lose all knitting ability and make a god awful mess of things.

So what happens now? Well, I have several projects in the stash that I am excited about starting soon… so I think I will get to work on those. But after that, it's time to branch out, my friends. Anyone have any clever suggestions of where to go from here? What was your first challenging knitting project?

AND NOW, THE PROGRESS REPORT

Enough soul searching. How's the boring knitting going? Pretty darn well. Cable raglan is done and blocked. I seam tonight. In the interim, I started Shriek, a shell knit from Rowanspun DK. It's moving along. I finished the back yesterday and hope to cast on for the front tomorrow. And that's all there is to tell.

OOH!

Chamonix has arrived. Hooray, hooray. It is all that I had hoped for, and more. In response to Larry's question: I chose a color called Paris, a grey blue. Choosing colors based on onscreen samples always makes me nervous, but I am very happy with how it looks in real life. Sadly, the swatching cannot begin, as the all-important pattern has yet to arrive from KnitPicks. Shoot. I suppose it will help keep me faithful to the cabled raglan seaming, though. Everything happens for a reason. And all that jazz.

No comments: